The Stevenage & District Model Railway Club website is currently under construction. Sorry for any inconveniences.
The Stevenage & District Model Railway Club 'headquarters' are situated along Datchworth Green, the main road going through the village of Datchworth, connecting Woolmer Green and Watton-at-Stone. The building was constructed in 1892/93, with the memorial stone being placed amongst the brickwork in 26th October 1892. The building was originally a Baptist Chapel until 1976 when the building almost fell into a state of disrepair.
Meanwhile, in the early 1960's (possibly early), the Lea Valley Railway Club was founded and was based in Cheshunt. Unfortunately the destruction of the club house led them to look for a new premises. Between 1978 and 1981, the Baptist Church in Datchworth was purchased by the Lea Valley Model Railway Club and records show that the first meeting was held on the 5th January 1981.
In 2009 the Lea Valley Model Railway Club become the Stevenage & District Model Railway Club, and is still based in the original Baptist Chapel on Datchworth Green. Minor work has been carried out and a small extension on the rear of the building has been built. However major work is now required and we are currently trying to fund raise the money so the required work can be carried out on the building.